MENU

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

What's For Lunch?

Recently I received this question from my sister:
I need some healthy lunch ideas, something quick, but good. Could you give me a few ideas?


Since I typed up a long response I thought I should share it here too.
Have you tried sandwich thins? The best brand is Nature's Own (I buy it at Wal-Mart).  They are only 80 calories and are perfect for a lunch time sandwich*.


Sometimes at dinner I portion out a serving for the next days lunch.   



Chopped veggie sticks - Buy real carrots and slice into sticks.  Cucumber sticks are good too. Celery and bell peppers are all good and easy to chop at the beginning of the week, store in a container and eat when needed.

*Healthy sandwich ideas:
1. Buy some natural peanut butter.  I like Smucker's Chunky Natural (also buy at Wal-Mart). 
Smear a sandwich thin with PB and all-natural no sugar jam/jelly and add some fresh spinach.  I'm serious!! It's really good.

2. Hummus sandwich.  Does you like hummus? It's really cheap and easy to make if you have a food processor.  If not, buy the SABRA brand (at any grocer).  It is delicious! 
Smear a sandwich thin with hummus.  Add some thinly sliced avocado and cucumber.  Layer on some lettuce and tomato slice too.  It's really yummy! 
OR you can make it more savory: hummus with a slice of cheese and slice of tomato then heat it up like a grilled cheese!

Make a GREEN smoothie - eat some almonds or other good nuts on the side
(it sounds weird but also really good and filling!)
Layer in your blender
Handful of ice
1 chopped banana
2 cups fresh spinach
1 c milk
squirt of honey or agave

For more ideas see this blog post from Small Notebook.

No comments :

Post a Comment